Kiamba, famous for its rare and most sought after orchid, the Waling-Waling originated from the creek name which is located at the eastern foot of the Bakud point, west of Kiamba proper. According to some old Tagabilis residing in the place, Kiamba creek was named after the Datu Kiamba famous Tagabili chieftain. This Municipality was formerly known as Kitagas.
Many years before the coming of Christian settlers Muslim came to settle in Kiamba. Kiamba was then comprise of two (2) separate settled territories; Kraan in the west and Kling in the east. As it is common in the history of different localities of Cotabato, any place that was first occupied by the Muslims arealso governed by them. So for Kraan, Datu Budin was the Chieftain and for Kling, Datu Dani was the first ruler.
On March 9, 1920, the first batch of Ilocano settlers aboard the steamer tablas landed at Kalaong. On the next trip of the sluggish Tablas. another batch of settlers arrived. These settlers were courageous pioneers who brought with them their families to find a new home of the malaria infested wilderness of the coastal plains of Cotabato.
On 1921, Datu Dani and Datu Budin died and they were relieved of their leader ship by Datu Obpon, brother of Datu Budin and Datu Mangagkem, grandson of Datu Budin. The dual rule of these chieftains was to be merged into the leadership. Years later when Pandita Modabpil, the religious adviser of both datus became the successor of both, thus, uniting the whole region under one leadership later to become the Municipality of Kiamba.